Nice Matrix Reverb from Apple

Effects and signal processing hardware, plug-ins, presets, impulse responses

New Fine tuned and new 96 Khz presets

Postby r2d2 » Fri, 25 Feb 2005 4:50 pm

Thanx Fucanay for cooperation on this job and thanx to Meldavid too.

Here they are fine tuned and new 96Khz presets that ROCKS!!!

They sound on 96 Khz really seriously.
I specially designed them because Matrix rev have completely different sound on 96 Khz. High definition it is obvious..

Enjoy all and I hope it will be some good fun to work with this plugin.
Except ,be careful Logic cannot recall custom presets in song load.
So we can write on the paper the presets if you use 4-5 instances on bus sends for adjusment on opening of saved song file.

Here they are :http://fucanay.fischerworks.com/presets/AUMatrixReverb.zip
r2d2

Postby chuckiiboo » Sat, 26 Feb 2005 2:23 am

R2D2, thanx for pinpointing out the MATRIX verb, i didnt even know it was there, it sounds awesome and im going to use it a LOT!!!! Im sure i might have passed it up because of no fancy GUI like space Designer but hey.. who's attracted to GUI's? LOL

Again, thanx a million,

Chuck B
10.6.1 Logic Studio 9 .1.1 (2 x 3.2 GHz Quad-Core Intel Xeon)

26 GIG RAM. Fireface 800 and a ton of plugins. 800 MHz DDR2 FB-DIMM
chuckiiboo

Thanx

Postby r2d2 » Sat, 26 Feb 2005 4:12 am

Thanx for attention on this topic and everybody is happy ,that's cool.

I contacted Emagic about this and they respond very frendly .So they said that
my email has been forwarded to Apple and I'd sent all presets to also.
I also told that this algorithm should be developed more and all Lofic users deserve high quality reverb but low on cpu with new GUI .
So we'll see what will happen ...Until than, we have this one .Anyway in todays music production there is no too many reverbs any more in sound picture.Now ambiences are "in" and some very transparent smooth plate revs.

To everybody : Have a nice time and "Be Happy"javascript:emoticon(':)')
r2d2

Postby r2d2 » Sat, 26 Feb 2005 4:41 am

This one is very useful for shorter sounds it is very light to cpu.
But Ambience Smartelectronix is good for long ones.
Combine all what you have.On G5 dual this will be enough for solid sound in the mix. Good luck with programming.!

:)
r2d2

Presets Question

Postby wgfinley » Sun, 13 Mar 2005 12:33 am

Hey guys. R2, you are the man!!. These presets are awesome, blow the factory ones right out of the water. After playing with them some today it made me harken back to when I thought an MPX110 was cool (which wasn't that long ago).

I had a question for you, on most of your presets you're going 100% wet, is that just your initial setting and you dial down from there or am I that conservative on my verb levels?

BTW, I'm using these on an iMac G5, M-Audio FW410 interface, using GB2 and I don't seem to be having any processor problems, she can keep up it seems. I'm also dialing in some other AU plugins (comps mostly) and she doesn't seem to have a problem. Granted, I'm not mixing a whole ton of tracks here but I can't believe what this baby will do.

--Guy
wgfinley

Postby AdamJay » Sun, 13 Mar 2005 12:40 am

you'll find the Apple AU plugs to be quite effecient, if not the most effecient.

i can't speak for anyone else, but my own personal use of the Reverb is in a Bus/Send, and not as an insert effect. So having the wet all the way up makes sense for my way of working, as the Send level of a given channel then becomes the dry/wet.

But obviously if i were to use it as a channel insert, dry/wet would have to be adjusted accordingly.
AdamJay

Postby atariboy » Sun, 13 Mar 2005 12:43 am

I do the same thing AdamJay

thanks for these presets r2d2
music, blog, stuff: http://atariboy.com software: http://plasq.com
1.63g PB, Athlon PC, 20" iMac, MPC1000, AN1x, xStation, SK-1! + software 8)
UI Design: Rax, Wormhole2, Bidule, musolomo, 'plasq' iDrum, Zebra & Comic Life
atariboy
Forum Guru

Postby wgfinley » Sun, 13 Mar 2005 12:51 am

You know, after I hit send I thought about that.

Because I'm using GB2 and not going through a board it's more or less and insert the way I have it set so on some I need to dial down some. But right now I'm listening to my recording of U2's "One" on ambiance 2 at 100% wet and it sounds phenomenal.

Don't know if this will crack you guys up or not but here's what I do. I have a karaoke and DJ service and I started out using a Winblows laptop with a board and rack (dbx 266xl, Lex MPX110, dbx DriveRack PA, BBE 882i Maximizer). That set up was fine and easily blew away my competition in the area (now if I could convince bar owners that singers STAY when they sound good and my sound is good so I charge more).

I started using a PowerBook for a while when kTunes got stable so I had this great setup with kTunes and MegaSeg for DJ duties. Still had the rack though.

Now I decided to sell everything in my rack. I have an iMac G5 (20", she's a monster), the M-Audio FW410 and my board is just doing main levels duties, that's it. All vocals are mixed and effects are done real time in GB2 while the backing track is being played using kTunes.

In fact, I hooked up with a couple of lounge singers and now we've been hitting lounges with this act and it's been knocking people out. Of course I don't set up the TV, I just set up my rig and I have sound that beats any lousy piano player and my singers are great, sound spectacular and it's all from my iMac G5.

So, I've been working on the demo for my lounge singers to get some more work and I'm pissed that I just cut about 10 CDs using the factory presets (with me tweaking some of course but nowhere near to R2's acumen) and now I'm going to want to redo those tracks all over again!!

--Guy

http://www.djguy.net
wgfinley

Postby macintard » Sun, 13 Mar 2005 11:44 am

meldavid wrote:For anybody too lazy to play around with Matrix Reverb, you can just download r2d2's settings to your computer and save them to the following location:

/Users/~/Library/Application Support/Logic/Plug-In Settings/AuMatrixReverb/

i LOVE the presets, but i can't quite sort things out:
(and forgive me if it's been addressed somewhere)

i tried following that path, substituting DP for Logic, and came up empty. should DP be listed there? or am i looking for another name?

i copied most of the presets by hand in a DP project, but they only appear in the preset list in that project, and not the others..arghhh!

any wise DP users who might point the way towards r2d2 verb bliss?

thanks
2.66 quad core Power Mac, 3 gigs RAM, OS X 10.8.x, DP8, Logic Pro X, RME Babyface, RNC1773, Yamaha HS 50M monitors and dogs named Gracie & Fiona
macintard

Postby meldavid » Sun, 13 Mar 2005 2:25 pm

DP doesn't have an effects settings folder like Logic or GarageBand does so you won't be able to just simply copy those files anywhere. DP saves all settings in the Project document, which is good in a way cause you will never accidentally loose your settings for a particular project. But bad because you can't share effect settings with GarageBand or Logic. You'll have to manually enter the effect settings yourself.

You can, however, "Load" effect settings from another DP project into your current project. Try the "File" menu and select "Load". Choose the DP project that has the AUMatrixReverb settings you created, and tick the "Effect Settings" box, before clicking "OK". The effects settings will then appear in the drop-down menu of the AuMatrixReveb window.
meldavid

Postby macintard » Sun, 13 Mar 2005 4:23 pm

thanks so much for the tip, meldavid :D

i'm giving it a go as we speak. even tho it's a little tedious to do it this way, at least i'll have them.

muchas gracias
2.66 quad core Power Mac, 3 gigs RAM, OS X 10.8.x, DP8, Logic Pro X, RME Babyface, RNC1773, Yamaha HS 50M monitors and dogs named Gracie & Fiona
macintard

Postby flashgerkin » Sun, 13 Mar 2005 9:56 pm

macintard wrote:i tried following that path, substituting DP for Logic, and came up empty. should DP be listed there? or am i looking for another name?

i copied most of the presets by hand in a DP project, but they only appear in the preset list in that project, and not the others..arghhh!

any wise DP users who might point the way towards r2d2 verb bliss?

thanks

Hi
I did the same thing... substituting DP for Logic. Pisser!!!

What follows is what I learned from garys and resident alien at the unicornation DP site.

Ok, Good first start. You have saved the presets to a DP project.

The next step is to save the r2d2 presets as a Digital Performer Clippings file. We DP users are not able to save the presets with the plug (which is a shame, but my brain has come to terms with this 'cause it likes DP).

When you save a preset, it goes in a 'user' section of the presets avaiable in the plugs mini menu. Go to Project menu/clippings/New Digital Performer clipping which opens a new palette. Move that palette off to the side but within clear view. With the plug in a send (or insert) slot, load the first 'user' preset. Move your cursor to the left of the send/insert slot at which point it turns into a hand. Click the mouse (so that the hand grabs the 'plug' name from the slot) and drag to the clipping file palette. The clipping will be named AUMatrixReverb. I renamed the clipping at this point so that I wouldn't lose track.

Then repeat the process. Load the next user preset, grab/drag etc, rename the clipping. Once your done, you can then 'move' the clippings within the clippings file into related clusters.

The new clipping file is now available at the bottom of the Project menu/clipping.

Hope this helps.
Mac Pro, 10.5.5, Logic Studio, Redmatica Compendium, Komplete 5, DP6.x, Mach5, MSI, 828mkll w/BLA analog mod, microexpress, PlugsoundPro, PoCo, UAD-1, PSP kumpleet, NomadFactory, RX, RND, LGX-SA, AX-100mkll, Amplitube2, The Brick.
flashgerkin
Site Supporter

Something weird happens with DP 4.52...

Postby alix chatelain » Wed, 16 Mar 2005 12:40 am

First off loads of thanks to R2D2 and Mel and Flash for all the patches and tips, thanks. They really are awesome and really do well for showing off the Matrix-Reverb potentials - hats off!

But, I had something funny happening on my system last night (G4 dual 1.25, OS 10.3.4, DP4.52, motu 2408mk3/pci424)... anyway it boils down to the fact that I can only use one (1) instance of the Matrix Reverb on one tack at I immediately get digital distortion - on both tracks.

Distortion that sounds like a heavy hiss, proportional to the level of the signal being fed into the verb and is especially noticeable in the tails of the effects. When and if I shut down one of the two instances in operation the distortion immediately goes away and I'm left with a pristine sound of only one Matrix-Verb, again.

I believe this phenomenon already stuck up its head in DP4.12 and has been the main reason why I seldom ever used the Matrix-Reverb distortion. Once again, last night I tried all kinds of settings for my PCI card but to no avail. The Matrix Reverb is the only one of the Apple plugin's that does this - weird, hmmm? I can have five or more Apple multiband compressors active and the sound will remain lean and clean but the Matrix verb will only sound good when only one instance of it is in use. In Digital Performer of course, I don't know of other DAW handle the situation.

Conclusion: on my system one instance of Matrix-Verb is fine (very-fine!) - as soon as I add another (let alone two) both sound corrupted and very dirty and consequently unsable.

Anybody else have this occur on their system?

Otherwise the Matrix Reverb may be made to sound very good indeed, albeit only on one track at a time - what gives?

Cheers, Alix
alix chatelain

Ooops!

Postby alix chatelain » Wed, 16 Mar 2005 12:45 am

Some text got deleted by mistake in the second paragraph - sorry about that.

...it was supposed to read: ...I can only use one instance at a time, and as soon as I add another...>>>. Distortion!

Cheers!
alix chatelain

Re: Something weird happens with DP 4.52...

Postby flashgerkin » Wed, 16 Mar 2005 6:22 pm

alix chatelain wrote:But, I had something funny happening on my system... anyway it boils down to the fact that I can only use one (1) instance of the Matrix Reverb on one tack at I immediately get digital distortion - on both tracks.

Distortion that sounds like a heavy hiss, proportional to the level of the signal being fed into the verb and is especially noticeable in the tails of the effects. When and if I shut down one of the two instances in operation the distortion immediately goes away and I'm left with a pristine sound of only one Matrix-Verb, again. Conclusion: on my system one instance of Matrix-Verb is fine (very-fine!) - as soon as I add another (let alone two) both sound corrupted and very dirty and consequently unsable.

Anybody else have this occur on their system?

Hi Alix,
Thanks for pointing this out!!!

I just set up two instances of Matrix Reverb. And yes, that nasty distortion occurs. Remove one instance, and the remaining sounds...great!!!

I'm just exploring the Matrix verb and might have heard the distortion but probably thought it was... well, sort of like the Motu verbs which can have that digital sizzle. (I hope MOTU comes out with a MasterWorks verb in the next revision. I have given them permission to use the term "Space Machine" but they haven't contacted me yet. 8))
Mac Pro, 10.5.5, Logic Studio, Redmatica Compendium, Komplete 5, DP6.x, Mach5, MSI, 828mkll w/BLA analog mod, microexpress, PlugsoundPro, PoCo, UAD-1, PSP kumpleet, NomadFactory, RX, RND, LGX-SA, AX-100mkll, Amplitube2, The Brick.
flashgerkin
Site Supporter

PreviousNext

Return to Effects