Can I change the default I/O names in DP?

A forum for MIO hardware, MIO Console, ChannelStrip plug-in and Spectrafoo from Metric Halo

Moderator: mhbj

Can I change the default I/O names in DP?

Postby Bobk88 » Sat, 12 Sep 2009 9:50 am

Is it possible to globally change the way MIO input and outputs appear in Digital Performer? I prefer to simplify the names, like this:

Inputs appear as '[xxx] FW 1 1' (xxx is the ULN-8's serial #); I'd prefer the much simpler 'ULN 1'

Outputs appear as '[xxx] DAW 1 1-[282] DAW 2 2'; I'd prefer 'ULN 1-2'

I realize I can:

1. manually change the names in the Bundles window (tedious to do for each project)

2. export the bundles for use in other projects (also a bit tedious to have to import them, then delete the default names)

3. create template Projects containing the re-named bundles

But when I create a new project from scratch,I have to rename the default bundles, or import the renamed and then delete the default ones. They're extra steps I'd rather not have to do.
Bob K
Bobk88

Re: Can I change the default I/O names in DP?

Postby 1nput0utput » Tue, 15 Sep 2009 7:12 am

Set the custom bundle names that you want, and export the bundles. Open each of your template files, import the bundles, and then re-save as a temple (replacing the old copy). It's a little tedious to do at first, especially if you have a lot of templates, but you won't have to do it again.
1nput0utput

Postby Bobk88 » Tue, 15 Sep 2009 8:30 am

Thanks, but as I said in my original post, I already know how to do that. I'm trying to find if there's a way to do it upstream, so that DP sees the I/O names differently in the first place.
Bob K
Bobk88

Postby mhbj » Tue, 15 Sep 2009 2:27 pm

Not at the present time.

Unfortuantely, DP does weird things with the channel/stream names. The reason that there are serial numbers on the names is so that DP will work properly with multiple MIOs (before we put that in, it would confuse channels that had the same name). The fact that it puts the numbers after the channel names is odd too.

Renaming the channels in MIO Console and pushing it through the driver to the host is something that may happen in the future, but there are a lot of possible problems, so we have not been moving too quickly on it.
mhbj

Postby Bobk88 » Tue, 15 Sep 2009 3:53 pm

Thanks for explaining, BJ!

Bob
Bob K
Bobk88

Postby pounce » Thu, 22 Oct 2009 4:02 pm

mhbj wrote:Not at the present time.

Unfortuantely, DP does weird things with the channel/stream names. The reason that there are serial numbers on the names is so that DP will work properly with multiple MIOs (before we put that in, it would confuse channels that had the same name). The fact that it puts the numbers after the channel names is odd too.

Renaming the channels in MIO Console and pushing it through the driver to the host is something that may happen in the future, but there are a lot of possible problems, so we have not been moving too quickly on it.

I would love this do much!
cheers,

paul
pounce international
www.paperstreetaudio.com
pounce

Postby James Lehmann » Sun, 08 Nov 2009 12:46 am

Add my name to the list of unified I/O names!
Mac Mini '09 2.26Ghz, OS-X 10.6.2, LaCie Drives, Logic 9.1, Emagic amt8, Metric Halo ULN-2 & 2882, PMC & Blue Sky monitoring, Waldorf, Kurzweil, Roland, Yahama & Ensoniq Synths, Beyer, Gefell & Shure mics
www.jameslehmann.net
James Lehmann

Return to Metric Halo