Fun with Waves V9 and OS X Lion

Effects and signal processing hardware, plug-ins, presets, impulse responses

Fun with Waves V9 and OS X Lion

Postby G » Fri, 23 Mar 2012 4:31 pm

For those of you updating/installing Waves V9 in OS X Lion 10.7.3, a few notes:

1. I was able to update all of my plug-in and bundle licenses to 9.0.0 from my client account with a few clicks. All free—My WUP runs out next month. #win

Except Kramer Master Tape. #fail

Waves tech support must be busy right now, but they got back to me very quickly. They had to manually bump Kramer Tape to 9.0.0, but it's there now. No problems.

2. Unless they've updated it in the last 24 hours, the Waves WOLI_V9 installer available on their website doesn't work in 10.7.3 (at least the live/online version). It will hang when it gets to the "Gathering Information" step after launch. (edit: MAY hang, see below)

As it turns out, they have a beta installer specially made up for Lion. They directed me to their FTP server to grab it. This installer worked as expected, downloading the components I needed as it went, installation done!

3. Nope. Launch Logic, hmmm.. no re-scan, call up a Waves plug-in. Error. "Contact the manufacturer." Email to tech support yet again. But in the mean time, I poked around and discovered that the installer had indeed put WaveShell-VST 9.0.vst3 into Library/Audio/Plug-Ins/VST3, but it hadn't done squat with the VST or Components (AU) folder. So I manually deleted the WaveShell 8 plug-ins, copied over the V9 plug-ins from Applications/Waves/Waveshells, then most importantly, to tell the system that there are new plug-ins to be had...

Launch this: Applications/Waves/Waveshells/Waves AU Reg Utility 9.0

Launch Logic, scanning 30 new Waves plug-ins. Boom. Call up Ren Vox. It's alive! :)

4. While I had their tech support's ear, I asked about the size of their license files. I assume they are fairly small gobs of text and won't require a large USB flash drive, if you want to go that way. They said a 4 GB would be fine. That's pretty much the smallest you buy right now anyway ($6 on Amazon).

All that said, everything is perfect now. I'm sure Waves will smooth this process out soon. But the largest remaining chunk of my plug-ins are now 64-bit! Waves License Center (wlc) works very well. And best of all, it's sweet to have all of my Waves licenses off of that old iLok without paying $25 each for the privilege.
Mac Pro (3,1 8-Core) . Radeon HD 5770 . MOTU 828mk3 . OS X Mavericks . Logic Pro X . FCPX . Get Info
G
Owner/Admin

Re: Fun with Waves V9 and OS X Lion

Postby perceptual » Sun, 08 Apr 2012 8:38 am

Hello

Do you have that link for the beta? I can't get a response from Waves over the holiday weekend... I am stuck installing my newly purchased SSL 4000 as it hangs on 'gathering information'.

thanks for the info
cheers
Holmes Ives
perceptual

Postby G » Sun, 08 Apr 2012 4:17 pm

Private message sent. I'm surprised they haven't fixed this yet.

Note that the beta Waves V9 Lion installer is still the same one from March 19, so you'll have to continue with step 3 above to get the full installation done.
Mac Pro (3,1 8-Core) . Radeon HD 5770 . MOTU 828mk3 . OS X Mavericks . Logic Pro X . FCPX . Get Info
G
Owner/Admin

Postby WaveTable » Thu, 12 Apr 2012 1:08 pm

G wrote:[*]Unless they've updated it in the last 24 hours, the Waves WOLI_V9 installer available on their website doesn't work in 10.7.3 (at least the live/online version). It will hang when it gets to the "Gathering Information" step after launch.

Just read this and thought that I would chip in.

I updated within 24-hours of the release announcement. I didn't have any problems using the WOLI_V9 installer (live/online version) on 10.7.3, so presumably an issue with some setups but not others.

The new Waves License Centre is excellent.
Logic Pro 9, Live 8.
WaveTable

Postby G » Thu, 12 Apr 2012 5:13 pm

Interesting! Their support rep made it sound like this was necessary for Lion, which was a little disconcerting as Lion is far from new. I guess they're still figuring it out. Original post edited/noted.

I'd be interested to know what's different about my system now (w/no other issues). But if it ain't broke, don't poke it.
G
Owner/Admin

Return to Effects